GCFR PRESIDENT COMMANDER IN CHIEF OF THE ARMED FORCES, FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA
Muhammadu Buhari GCFR was born on 17 December 1942, in Daura, Katsina State, to his father Adamu and mother Zulaihat. He is the twenty-third child of his father. Buhari was raised by his mother, after his father died when he was about four years old.
He attended primary school in Daura and Mai'adua before proceeding to Katsina Model School in 1953, and Katsina Provincial Secondary School (now Government College Katsina) from 1956 to 1961. He then joined the Nigerian Military Training School in Kaduna, where his military career began.
He is a retired Nigerian Army Major General and was Head of State of Nigeria from 31 December 1983 to 27 August 1985, after taking power in a military coup d'état. The term Buharism is ascribed to the Buhari military government.
Buhari has stated that he takes responsibility for whatever happened under his watch during his military rule, saying that he cannot change the past. He has described himself as a "converted democrat".
In March 1976, the Head of State, General Olusegun Obasanjo, appointed Buhari as the Federal Commissioner (position now called Minister) for Petroleum and Natural Resources. When the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation was created in 1976, Buhari was also appointed as its Chairman, a position he held until 1978.
He ran unsuccessfully for the office of President in the 2003, 2007 and 2011 elections. In December 2014, he emerged as the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress for the March 2015 elections. Buhari won the 2015 general election, defeating the incumbent President Goodluck Jonathan, thus marking the first time in Nigeria's history that an incumbent President was defeated in an election by the leader of the opposition. He was sworn in on 29 May 2015.
THE HONOURABLE MINISTER OF WORKS AND HOUSING
Born on the 28th of June 1963 in Lagos, Nigeria, Mr Babatunde Raji Fashola SAN was sworn in as the Honourable Minister for Works and Housing, newly created through an unprecedented consolidation of the three hitherto distinct ministries, by President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday 11th November, 2015.
Mr Babatunde Fashola comes to the job with high acclaim as the immediate past Governor of Lagos State. Elected the thirteenth Governor of the State on May 29, 2007 and overwhelmingly re-elected for a second term on the 26th of April 2011, his second term tenure came to a glorious end on May 29, 2015 with the swearing in of Mr Akinwunmi Ambode, his successor from the same All Progressives Congress.
Babatunde Fashola was called to the Nigerian Bar in November 1988. He cut his teeth as a barrister in the law Firm of Sofunde, Osakwe, Ogundipe and Belgore, as a litigator specializing in chieftaincy matters, land disputes, intellectual property, commercial and criminal law.
In August 2004, he was conferred with the rank of the Senior Advocate of Nigeria [SAN], Nigeria's highest legal distinction. He is the first member of the 1988 Law School set to take the rank of Senior Advocate of Nigeria, and the Second University of Benin Faculty of Law graduate to be so honoured.
Throughout his tenure as Governor of Lagos State from 2007- 2015, Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola, SAN demonstrated a commitment to excellence in public service and an uncommon dedication to his avowed pledge to lead the change that will transform Lagos into Africa’s model mega-city.
Both nationally and internationally, he was acclaimed as one of the bright hopes for the future of Nigeria, and one of the very progressive Governors determined to reclaim Nigeria’s past glories through competent and transparent leadership.
His dogged pursuit of renewal of the infrastructure of Lagos as the critical strategy for economic growth and poverty alleviation won the State honours from as far away as Australia, where he was lauded for undertaking the fastest infrastructure renewal ever in Africa. Indeed, his unflagging spirit led the Government to explode many negative myths about Lagos.
Mr Babatunde Fashola, SAN is the recipient of the prestigious Stephen J. Solarz Award of the International Crisis Group for 2015 for his commitment to building a peaceful and vibrant society; his work to improve social and economic conditions in Lagos including his role in preventing the Ebola outbreak from becoming a crisis in Nigeria.
He was listed in 2014 as one of the 100 Top Global Thinkers for 2013 by a global personality assessment organisation, Lo Spazio della Politica (LSDP) based in Italy and Brussels. TIME Magazine has commended him for "the overhaul of Lagos infrastructure" while The Economist Magazine acknowledged him as "a rare good man" and a Governor "who does his job well."
He also won the International Association of Public Transport (UITP) 2011 Award for Commitment towards the global promotion of Public Transportation, among numerous others.
In Nigeria, Babatunde Fashola , SAN is the recipient of the popular Man of the Year Award of The Guardian (2009), The Vanguard (2009) , The SUN (2009), the Champion (2010) and the City People (2012) . He also received the Corporate Governance Award 2012 from the Governing Council of the Institute of Directors and was equally presented the Most Labour-friendly Governor’s Award 2012 by the Lagos Zonal Council of the National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG).
At the Year 2014 Newswatch Awards organised by the Newswatch Communications Limited, publishers of Newswatch Magazine and Daily Newswatch, Mr. Fashola won three Awards-Governor of the Year (Internal Revenue Generation); Governor of the Year (Internal Security) and Governor of the Year (Health).
During his tenure in office, he served in various Ad-hoc Committees of the Federal Government in different capacities. He was a member of the Presidential Committee on the Review of Tariffs charged with the responsibilities of reviewing the current tariff structure and fiscal incentives in Nigeria, identifying barriers to investments and recommending strategic initiatives that would promote foreign direct investment and ultimately stimulate economic growth.
Mr. Fashola was the Chairman of the Governors’ Forum Committees set up to formulate the Rules and Regulations guiding succession to leadership of the Forum, to review the Revenue Allocation Formula for Nigeria and make appropriate recommendations by which the State Governments would engage critical stakeholders to find an equitable revenue formula for the country.
As the Chairman of the Strategy Committee of the All Progressives Congress (APC), which drafted the manifesto of the party for the 2015 General Elections, Mr Fashola was also the Head of the Fund Raising Committee for the Buhari-Osinbajo Campaign Committee.
Mr. Fashola, SAN is Patron, Institute of Arbitrators (CIA), Member, Nigeria Bar Association (NBA); Member, International Bar Association (IBA); Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria (CITN); Notary Public of the Supreme Court of Nigeria. He is a recipient of several awards and Certificates of Merit, Legal Practitioner, Administrator, Management Consultant, Team Player and a detribalised Nigerian.
Mr Babatunde Raji Fashola, SAN is married to Dame Emmanuella Abimbola Fashola and they are blessed with children.
THE HONOURABLE MINISTER OF STATE WORKS AND HOUSING
PERMANENT SECRETARY FEDERAL MINISTRY OF WORKS AND HOUSING
Bashir Nura Alkali was born on March 20, 1963 at Tudun-Wada town in Kano State, North Western Nigeria.
Mr. Alkali attended Kwalli Primary School, Kano City, for his First School Leaving Certificate which he obtained in 1974 and Government Secondary School, Rano, Kano State for his West African School Certificate WASC 1974-1979.
He proceeded to Bayero University Kano (BUK) where he obtained a Bachelor of Science Degree in Accounting between 1979 -83 and also went to Obafemi Awolowo University (formerly University of Ile Ife) for his Post-Graduate Diploma in Financial Management in 1987 where he passed with Distinction.
The employment life of Alkali was remarkable in different capacities and positions under the underlisted organisations:
* Permanent Secretary Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, September 2020 -April 2022;
* State House, Presidential Villa, Abuja, Nigeria, Director Finance and Accounts, August 2015-August 2020;
* Federal Ministry of Justice, Deputy Director and Director Finance and Accounts, April 2009 - August 2015;
* Federal Ministry of Police Affairs/ Federal Ministry of Interior, Assistant Director and Head of Nigeria Police Accounts, August 2004 - April 2009;
* Regional (Area) Manager, NAL Merchant Bank PLC Kaduna Office January 2000 - August 2004;
* Deputy Area Manager, NAL Merchant Bank Abuja Regional Office, March 1999 - January 2000;
* Deputy Manager and Head of Domestic Operations, NAL Merchant Bank, Plc Lagos, Nigeria
April 1997 - March 1999;
* Head, Corporate Banking and Corporate Finance/Head Financial Control Departments, Group Merchant Bank Limited, November 1995 - March 1997;
* Deputy Manager and later Manager of Abuja Branch, Group Merchant Bank Limited, January 1993 - October 1995;
* Director and Head of Financial Services, Geoprojects Limited, Kano, Nigeria, January 1992 - December 1992;
* Financial and Management Accountant, Nigerian Sugar Company Limited, Bacita, Kwara State Nigeria, November 1987 - December 1991;
* Resident Auditor, Kano State Ministries of Information, Agriculture and The Board of Internal Revenue, 1984-1987
To advance his professional career, the zeal in Alkali pushed him further to acquire higher qualifications to become a fellow and an member of many institutes as follows:
* Admitted a Fellow of Chartered Institute of Forensic and Investigative Professionals of Nigeria in September 2019;
* Admitted a Fellow of the Nigerian Institute of Management Chartered in August, 2016;
* Admitted a Fellow Institute of Credit Administration, Nigeria in August, 2014;
* Admitted Fellow of the Institute of Fraud Examiners, Nigeria in October, 2011;
* Admitted Associate Member of the Association of Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA), UK in November, 2011;
* Admitted Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Taxation, Nigeria in August, 2010;
* Fellow Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria in March 2007;
* Associate Member Nigerian Institute of Management (Chartered) in September, 2003
* Admitted a member Associate of Chartered Institute of Taxation, Nigeria in November, 2000.
PROFESSIONAL COURSES ATTENDED
* Mandatory Continuing Professional Education Courses of Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria from 1996 to date;
* Corporate Accounts Management Course –NAL MERCHANT BANK (July- August 1998). This is an intensive credit analysis course organised in conjunction with GRINDLAYS BANK in INDIA.
* Appreciation courses in respect of KAPITI Banking software as well as AS400 hardware. Many top banks in the country were using the Kapiti Banking Software in the 1990s.
* Sustaining Peak Performance: A leadership training course organised by LEADERSHIP & VISION LTD.PROJECT MANAGEMENT;
* Top Managers Course, International Law Institute In Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
* He attended many other courses since joining the service with a view to improving performance and service delivery in the work place
CONFERENCES AND SEMINARS ATTENDED:
Bashir Nura Alkali has also attended many conferences and seminars, among which are:
* “Financing Government Expenditure” organized by Centre for Management Development (CMD) for Kano State Audit Department;
* “Auditing in the Public Sector. An appraisal of the potentials of the Auditor” Kano State Audit Department, (1985);
* Workshop on “Improving Revenue Collection Potentials, Kano State Board of Internal Revenue;
* Workshop on Securities for Bank Lending: Documentation and Enforcement in Nigeria, Potomac Lagos, (1987);
* Participated in the production of a policy document titled, “Towards Self Sufficiency in Sugar Production in Nigeria.” This formed the basis for a sugar policy in Nigeria in 1988-89.
*' Workshop on Computer Audit: An appraisal of the importance of the Audit Trail, LINSA COMPUTRONICS in Lagos, (1993);
* Workshop on Managing Problem Loans, Loan Recovery and Understanding of Decree 18 of 1994- Failed Banks (Recovery of Debts) And Financial Malpractices in Banks - Organised by CAPITAL RESEARCH CONSULTING LIMITED in Lagos in 1995;
* Lagos Business School training on Key Account Management (August 2001).
Top Federal Positions:
* Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Abuja;
* Permanent Secretary Federal Ministry of Works and Housing (April 2022);
Mr. Bashir Nura Alkali is happily married with children.
FASHOLA, PETERSIDE, YAKASAI, OTHERS AT THE NICHE'S 2022 ANNUAL LECTURE WITH THE THEME "2023 ELECTIONS AND THE FUTURE OF NIGERIA'S DEMOCRACY" IN LAGOS
Hon. Minister of Works and Housing & Guest Speaker, Mr Babatunde Fashola,SAN (right),Chairman of the occasion, Alhaji Tanko Yakasai (2nd right), Jean Monnet Professor of Strategy and Development & Moderator, Prof. Anthony Kila (2nd left) and Royal Father of the Day, HRM Eze Chidume Okoro (UGOAMANO) (left) in a group photograph shortly after The Niche's Annual Lecture with the theme,
THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT'S COMMISSIONING AND HANDOVER OF GOMBE - KALTUNGO ROAD IN GOMBE STATE
A view of Gombe - Kaltungo Road linking Kumo, Billiri and Kaltungo Communities in Gombe State after its rehabilitation by the Federal Government. INSET: Representative of President Muhammadu Buhari and Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Prof. Isa Ali Pantami (3rd right), Governor of Gombe State, Alhaji Muhammadu Inuwa Yahaya (2nd right), Emir of Gombe & Chairman, Gombe State Council of Emirs & Chiefs, HRH.Dr Abubakar Shehu Abubakar III (3rd left) and representative of the Hon. Minister of Works and Housing & Director Highways, North East Zone, Engr. Celestine Shausu (right) and others during the Federal Government's Commissioning and Handover of Gombe - Kaltungo Road in Gombe State on Friday, 26th August 2022.